Saturday, March 28, 2020

UNKNOWN

UNKNOWN
By Kanisha Shiv

    I was just chilling on my bed with my laptop when I heard a ding. I ignored it and kept chatting with my friends on Hangouts. I didn’t worry about it much until I realized how late it was getting and decided to wrap up my conversation on hangouts. As soon as I wrapped up the conversation I decided to check out the “ding” thing. I went to the Invitations options and to my surprise, I had an invitation! 
 The only problem was I didn’t know who it was from. 

“Vanessa Ngyuen”, I murmured.
   
 I honestly had no clue what to do. Should I accept the invitation? Should I not? It won’t hurt if I did. They probably sent an invitation to the wrong person. I’ll ask them a few questions and then leave the chat or block them. I hesitated for a moment then, I hit accept. 

“Hi”, I typed.

I got an immediate answer.

“Hi”, she replied.

“ Who are you?”, I texted.

“ I’m Venessa, and you are Sarah ?”, She wrote.

I froze. How did she know my name? I was about to leave the conversation and block her but, I realized that under my texts you could see my name. My hand still shanking I texted her a lie.

“No, that’s my friend. I’m using her account. My name is Chole.”

“Oh okay.”, she texted satisfied.

“ So how old are you and what state do you live in?”, I asked.

“ I’m 15 and I live in Texas.” 

Texas? And she’s 15? That’s way older than I am. 

“ Cool. I live in New Jersey and I’m 11.”, I replied.

The moment I hit send I regretted it soo much.

“ Now she knows where you live and how old you are!”, I scolded myself.

Now she was probably confident that she could kidnap me because I was a helpless kid who’s only 11. Maybe she’d even bring a gang. What if she starts stalking me. Her name might not even be Vanessa! She might not even live in Texas! I closed my eyes and tried to end the conversation.

“ Cool, you wanna be friends?”, she wrote.

I was silent. 

“ Are you a kidnapper?”, I replied, anxious to get an answer.

“ No! Not at all! Do you want to join me on a video call? You can show me around your house!”, she wrote.

At that moment I knew that she was up to something. I firmly replied NO, and then blocked her and left the conversation. I closed my laptop and let my head sink into a pillow. If that girl wanted to see my house, I was in danger. I ran downstairs and told my parents. Both of them were left speechless. They told me not to worry about it for now.  
        
 I ran back upstairs and told one of my friends about it. She was left speechless and wanted me to call the FBI! She kept going on and on about what she would do if something happened to me. And that’s when I realized how much people care and how much people dare. Vanessa dared to invite me to a chat and my parents and friends cared about it. I’ll never know what would have happened if I was on that Video Call but, what I do know is, you can never trust anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment